Sacramento-area schools fundraiser
We're a team of professional scientists, graduate students, parents, and caring community members dedicated to inspiring hands-on science education. Through personal experience in our own educational journeys, we know that experiential learning can change a student's academic future and life opportunities for the better.
Fostering Curiosity Through Science:
We bring experiential science education to as many students as we can access and help their teachers implement our research-based learning. We tap into students’ natural curiosity by teaching them how to ask scientific questions, design research methods, problem solve, collect data, present their research, and author research papers. Through our programs, students learn to think critically and develop increased confidence in independent decision-making. These skills help them not only in future science classes, but as they move into the world. Our students are better prepared to access high-level science careers and more ready to become well-informed community contributors.
1. School Programs: We customize school programs of various lengths to bring to schools, teaching students how to ask questions, plan and conduct research, and present their findings. Programs often bring students out into the field, connecting them with the environment around them.
2. Digital Research Experience: This semester-long extracurricular program allows high school students to design, create, and execute an original research project mentored by a professional scientist.
3. Lunch with a Scientist: A library of 30-45 minute science talks showcasing the research of various scientists. These presentations, delivered by STEM professionals, provide students the opportunity to learn about careers in science and the lives of professionals. These include a free investigation for teachers to incorporate into their curriculum as well.
4. Professional Development: We help teachers plan student-driven research in their classrooms, giving them tools to facilitate projects and . Teachers gain insight into teaching high-quality scientific inquiry projects in just three to five days. We provide virtual, in-person, and hybrid program options.
5. Summer Camps and Field Days: We give students the opportunity to explore nature with a host of hands-on science camps and field days designed to couple fun with exploring the unique ecology of the site. We offer some sessions specifically for girls interested in STEM and students looking for an introduction to research.
Our vision is to create informed citizens who not only pursue science careers, but blossom when faced with opportunities to positively impact society through engagement, curiosity, and applications of the scientific method.
Headwaters Science Institute fosters curiosity through science. We engage students' natural curiosity, guiding them to design and perform experiments that answer their own questions through the scientific method. We aim to create informed citizens who not only pursue science careers but blossom when faced with opportunities to positively impact society.
View our current participation opportunities.
record digitally with our staff
Volunteer at a School Program
Northern California or Reno, NV